Thursday, April 29, 2010

Soul Food


Upon graduating from high school I had this wild idea to become a youth pastor. Throughout the up and coming years of my adolescent youth, I could remember those captivating speakers that challenged something far deeper than my superficial need for acceptance. Through their testimonies of belief, sacrifice, and forgiveness they had found an eternal peace that ultimately lead them to place of validated purpose. To an impressionable youth, the world seemed an endless array of opportunity each glistening with idealistic possibilities of wealth and success. Yet, tucked away beneath the humble words of my pastor I found a richness and fulfillment no other occupation seemed to reflect.
As I began to map out the next steps of my endeavor, I quickly came to realize how imposing a conversation on faith and spirituality could potentially be to a complete stranger. I needed a vehicle through which I could penetrate the spirit, yet appease the mortal vessel before me. In this vortex of fueled ambitions, I thought about the comfort of food and how it nourishes our physical bodies. That's it I thought!! I'll go to Culinary school, this way not only could I provide physical sustenance, but spiritual nutriment as well! It was a winning combination!

Follow me through my thought process,
whenever, we come upon an enticing meal, in order to fully enjoy this wonderful experience we must let our guards down. Once open to this culinary exploration, our senses are overcome by the array of simulations placed before us. While each morsel is thoroughly enjoyed, our bodies needs are replenished. In addition to this physical revitalization,

I have chosen to include the topic of faith.

Just as the meal you've recently enjoyed provided everything you needed to meet the physical demands of the day, along with daily requirements necessitated by your body. Our spirits are very much the same. How incredible it could be nourish both our physical and spiritual selves. How fulfilling our lives would be if we tended to the unseen aspects of ourselves as much as we do the obvious.

Next time you sit down to a meal ask yourself, does this effort to sustain my body match my efforts to sustain my soul??

Photo courtesy of Deviantart.com

Kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment